- my 2 x great-grandparents, William Elbert Dando & Sarah Louisa Oliver
, married 136 years ago in St James's Church, Westminster
. Their marriage certificate confirms that Sarah called herself Sarah Louisa Barnes and she declared herself a widow. This was not actually true - Sarah had run off to Australia with John G.W. Barnes in 1865 and had had a daughter by him before returning in 1869 with no money or friends. She looked up her old flame (she and William had previously been engaged) and the couple lived together until Sarah became pregnant, at which time they married in the church which is just around the corner from Piccadilly Circus in London.
- by some strange coincidence, William chose the very same day to wed again 9 years later when William Elbert Dando & Emma Sheriff
tied the knot in Manhatten, New York. The main problem with this was that William hadn't divorced Sarah and so this second union was a bigamous match! This is probably why the couple travelled to America for the ceremony.
- my 2 x great-grandmother went up the aisle 137 years ago. George Oakes & Hannah Maria Cotterill
, were wed in All Saints Church
in Birmingham. Hannah (or Annie, as she was also known) already had 4 children by my great-grandfather, Henry Ridley, but it appears that she and Henry never married.
- Ann Rigsby
, my 6 x great-grandmother, died at the age of 57 and was buried in the Churchyard at Black Torrington
- Mariana Dando
, the one year old daughter of Joseph Clifford Dando (1st) and Beulah Parker, died.
- retired silk manufacturer, Joseph Spiers, the elder, & Elizabeth Tisdall
, were married in Hove, Sussex. Elizabeth was Joseph's second wife.
- Joseph Clifford Dando (1st) and Beulah Parker
, were married in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Jane Clark
was the third wife of my 3 x great-grandfather, Joseph Dando. She was born on 13th October, 205 years ago.
- Molly Irene Joan Fryer
was was born at 13 Upper Church Street, Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales.
- 120 years ago, James Smale & Emma Friend
were married in the Register Office in Tavistock, Devon. James was the son of my 3 x great-grandparents, William Smale & Mary Jane (nee Moore).
- the third child of Nathaniel Dando, the elder, and his first wife, Hannah (nee Langston), George Dando
, was born.
- it was 284 years ago when my 7 x great-grandparents, John Longman & Agnes Tucker
, were married in Merton, North Devon.
- Joseph Fyer & Hannah Woodward
, wed in St Mary the Virgin's Church, Arlingham Gloucestershire. Hannah was Joseph's second wife.
- my 4 x great-grandmother, Ann Fryer (nee Jones)
, died in Overton in Arlingham, Gloucestershire, and was buried 3 days later in the local churchyard
- Thomas Gethen & Ann Dando
were married in the Anglican Church at Dursley, 237 years ago. Ann was the daughter of my 6 x great-grandparents, John & Susanna Dando, who had very strong Non-conformist links. Nevertheless, it was often the case at that time that weddings were conducted in the Established Church.
St James the Great Church, Dursley, Gloucestershire
- my 4 x great-grandfather, Richard Fryer
, died of typhoid fever and bronchitis in the City of Gloucester at the approximate age of 70.
[Note: All content on the Hibbitt Family History website and blog is copyrighted. Click here for conditions of use.]