Hibbitt & Barnes Family History

·Home  ·Trees  ·E-Shop  ·Pictures  ·Blog  ·Resources  ·Guestbook  ·Contact  ·Sitemap  ·Search


Hibbitt Family - Picture Gallery

Images on this site are NOT in the public domain.
Click here
for conditions of use.

Newland Almshouses in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire


The Almshouses at Newland are situated in a road adjacent to All Saints Church.

William Jones, Liveryman, a native of Newland in the Forest of Dean, made his fortune in London and in 1613 gave money to the Company to fund almshouses at Monmouth. By his will he bequeathed further money for this purpose and for the establishment of a school at Monmouth and further almshouses at Newland in Gloucestershire.

Until recently the charity had almshouses in Monmouth and Newland. The Company decided to concentrate its almshouse activities in Monmouth, near to all facilities, and to close the Newland almshouses, as Newland lacks amenities and the accommodation was built in 1616 and was therefore difficult to modernise.

(See the next image for additional details)


« Back to Previously Visited Page